Monday 2 July 2012

Face plates with decals

Fresh out of the kiln! 

The decals I use are vintage, acquired from a shut down pottery in the north of England. They used to be the sort of thing that would grace commemorative mugs and dinnerware. No more.  I showed some of my work to the people I got the decals from, and they said they didn't mind the sacrilege. Their time is over, and they are glad the decals can have another life.

I know it's hard to gauge size here. They range from about 4 inches to about 12 inches across.
 V9G is a clay body with quite an earthy look to it. I don't think it's the sort of thing that decals normally go on, but I'm not trying to make mass market items here. Each one is its own piece. Here, a decal of a scene of Victorian lovers has shattered, as have the flowers that surround them.

And again in a smaller version. It's very different on porcelain.  I find myself looking at the white space more.
 The faces are starting to form groups now. Us against them.

These Victorian lovers get to stay whole. Small.

V9G clay, a doily impressed when the slay was wet, dark glaze down in the grooves, clear glaze over it, and decals that coordinate with the browns.  Medium.
 Another in the same process. Alas, some throw lines from before the doily went on remain, and look like someone set a mug there.  This one might not be for sale, but I like it other than the circle in the middle.

Small and flowery.
 V9G, clear, brown, and green glazes. A trio of birds in the middle. Are they grouses? Medium sized.
 Green and clear glazes, trying to give the flowers a greener garden to grow in. Small.
 Same as above, but perhaps a more tidy garden. Small.
 The tiniest one so far, about 4 inches across.

Large.

No comments:

Post a Comment